Surgical Weight Control
Bariatric Surgery in Los Angeles, California
You are not alone if you struggle with serious weight problems. More than 95 million U.S. adults face the same challenge, and more than 10 million suffer from life-threatening obesity.
If you have tried less-extreme methods of weight loss and still find yourself unable to shed the necessary pounds to enjoy a reasonable quality of life, you could be a candidate for surgical weight control. In medical terms, this is called bariatric surgery.
Bariatric surgery changes your digestive system in order to reduce the amount of food your body can digest or to limit the amount of food you can take in at one time.
Surgical weight control is becoming more popular as the procedures become safer and more effective.
Benefits of Surgical Weight Control
- Can improve or cure life-threatening diseases, such as high blood pressure, Type 2 Diabetes, heart disease, severe sleep apnea, and certain cancers.
- Can, with optimal weight loss after surgery, help to prolong your life. Average weight loss ranges from 50 to 60 percent of excess weight, depending on the procedure and patient.
- Can boost quality of life and mental health.
- Weight loss begins quickly after surgery and continues for 18 to 24 months.
Two Types of Surgical Weight Control
Bariatric surgery is typically considered either a restrictive procedure that reduces food intake or a malabsorptive procedure that alters digestion.
- Restrictive Operations restrict the amount of food a patient can eat at any one time to less than a cup. The surgery involves creating a small pouch at the top of the stomach. Types of restrictive weight loss options include the LAP-BAND® System and the new REALIZE™ Band.
- Malabsorptive Operations not only restrict food intake, but also the amount of calories and nutrients the body absorbs by redirecting the digestive process. The most common type of malabsorptive procedure is the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass.
Choosing to undergo surgery for weight loss is a serious decision, but it can be a powerful move to improving the quality and length of your life.
For more information, see Questions about Weight Loss Surgery.
The caring and experienced weight loss surgery team at the Los Angeles, California office of Dr. Carson Liu™ would be glad to take the time to listen to you and answer all of your questions. Please contact our bariatric surgery team today to schedule an appointment.