Requirements for Lap-Band Surgery
Los Angeles, California
In his Los Angeles, California practice, bariatric surgeon Dr. Carson Liu™ offers a comprehensive approach to his patients' weight loss journeys, including a support system to help them adjust to life after Lap-Band surgery. The combination of laparoscopic surgical methods and Lap-Band technology has revolutionized bariatric surgery. The Lap-Band procedure is the least traumatic of all weight loss surgeries. It requires a much shorter surgery time, recovery time, and much less post-operative pain than other procedures. Lap-Band surgeries are also adjustable and reversible.
Like all weight loss procedures, the Lap-Band surgery may not be right for all patients. In general, the candidates for Lap-Band surgery must meet the same requirements as candidates for other types of bariatric surgery. However, there are some differences in how candidacy is determined.
Lap-Band Surgery Requirements
The Lap-Band procedure may be right for patients who have the following indicators:
- Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is at least 40 or higher, or you are at least 30 pounds overweight with a BMI of at least 35 kg/m2 with one or more obesity related comorbid condition. Comorbid conditions include diabetes, sleep apnea and hypertension. You can determine your BMI using our BMI Calculator.
- Has been overweight for more than five years
- Has failed to lose weight as part of a medically supervised weight-loss program over at least six months
- Has an obesity related medical problem
- Is willing to comply with post-operative requirements, including restrictions to diet, exercise, and lifestyle habits
- Has no other disease that may cause obesity
- Does not drink alcohol in excess
Other Lap-Band Surgery Considerations
Even if a patient meets most of the criteria for Lap-Band surgery, the procedure is not for everyone.
- Drug or Alcohol Addiction
- Esophageal or Stomach Bleeding
- Gastrointestinal tract inflammatory disease
- Heart or Lung disease
- Inability to tolerate pain form the device
- Long Term Steroid Treatment
- Allergy to LAP band device
- Auto-immune disease
- Portal Hypertension
- Unwillingness to follow dietary restrictions
Patients should consult a bariatric surgeon to find out more information on the requirements for Lap-Band surgery. Please call or e-mail Dr. Carson Liu™'s Los Angeles Bariatric Surgery practice to schedule a consultation.