Weight Loss Surgery Requirements and Qualifications
In general, an individual must have these key factors to be considered a good candidate for weight loss surgery:
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more. (If you need to calculate your BMI, use our simple online calculator.)
- An obesity-related, life-affecting health condition, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, severe arthritis or obstructive sleep apnea, which could improve with weight loss. If a patient has one of these types of conditions, the BMI score can be 35.
- The ability to demonstrate that traditional weight loss methods have not worked.
- An understanding of the risks and benefits of weight loss surgery.
If you fit the above profile, you may quality for a weight loss surgery option.
There are now laws in most states that require insurance companies to provide benefits to patients who meet the guidelines for weight loss surgery. However, the approval process can be complex. Here are a few things you can do to improve your odds of getting coverage:
- Thoroughly read your insurance carrier's explanations of coverage.
- Ask your primary care doctor for a referral to a bariatric surgeon, even if you do not technically need one.
- Document your healthcare visits for obesity-related issues in the past.
- Compile a record, with receipts if possible, of your formal attempts at weight loss, such as participating in weight loss programs, diet centers and gym/fitness clubs.
CareCredit for Treatment and Care
We offer CareCredit to make it easier for you to get the treatment and care you want and need. CareCredit, a part of GE Capital, and the nation's leader in patient financing has a variety of payment plans for you. With CareCredit you can enjoy monthly payment options and use your card over and over for additional procedures without having to reapply.
Consult With an Experienced Bariatric Surgeon
If you are considering weight loss surgery options right now, it is important to discuss your specific situation with an experienced weight loss surgeon. A consultation with a qualified surgeon such as Dr. Carson Liu™ can give you definite answers and provide you with the all-important information you need to make a decision.
Please take that first step and contact the Los Angeles, California office of weight loss surgeon Dr. Carson Liu™ today to schedule a consultation.