Last Minute Reminders before Weight Loss Surgery
Los Angeles, California
LAP-BAND® weight loss surgery can help you lose weight safely, at about two pounds per week, or about 50% of your excess weight in the first year after surgery.
Bariatric surgeons like Dr. Carson Liu™ agree that losing weight too quickly can put you at unnecessary risk. Developing realistic expectations about weight loss after the LAP-BAND® procedure will ensure the best outcome.
Preparing for Weight Loss Surgery
- Prepare a comfortable area at home to ensure a smooth recovery
- Fill your pain medicine prescriptions, as well as other medications
- Stock up on ice chips. Hydration is important after surgery
- Keep clear broth, skim milk, juice and sugar-free popsicles on hand
Medications to Avoid
Pack a small bag for your hospital stay with:
- Loose-fitting, comfortable sleepwear and slippers
- Toiletries: toothbrush, razor, deodorant, sanitary items, hand sanitizer, etc.
- A list of all medications and a two day supply of each prescription
- Books, magazines, a music player, such as an iPod
- Key information, such as insurance documents, Living Will, etc.
Do not eat or drink anything after midnight on the night before surgery.
Arriving at the Hospital the Day of Surgery
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that doesn't pinch or bind at your waist
- Wear slip-on shoes or slippers
- Be prepared to arrive at the hospital for a morning surgery
- Your total operating room time will be about three hours: one hour for the surgery, and several hours in recovery
Coming Home after Weight Loss Surgery
You may need to rely on others for assistance while recovering from weight loss surgery. Enlist a friend or family member to drive you to the hospital and home after surgery. A soft pillow will cushion your stomach on the ride home. Arrange to have someone at home who can help you get settled in and comfortable.
Follow Dr.Liu's dietary plan exactly. You will progress from liquids to soft foods and then solid foods. This will be a new experience for you. Be kind to yourself. It takes time to make adjustments.
Follow up appointments with Dr. Liu will ease your transition following weight loss surgery. Dr. Liu will monitor your weight, ensure proper healing and take the time to answer your questions. Dr. Liu will tell you when you may begin exercising and will help you decide when you can return to work. Most LAP-BAND patients can return to work after about one week.
If you are ready to finally lose your excess weight, find out if LAP-BAND or traditional gastric bypass surgery is right for you. Please contact Dr. Carson Liu™ in Los Angeles, California to arrange for a personal weight loss consultation.