Los Angeles County
If you are looking for an alternative to gastric bypass surgery or the LAP-BAND® System, the new REALIZE™ Band may be an option for you.
Like the LAP-BAND® System, the REALIZE™ Band encourages weight loss by limiting the amount of food a patient can eat at one time. Unlike gastric bypass, an important advantage of the REALIZE™ Band is that it does not interfere with the normal absorption of nutrients and vitamins.
REALIZE Band Animation
Los Angeles Realize Band Video
How It Works
The REALIZE™ Band is a flexible and adjustable silicone band that is surgically wrapped around the stomach, reshaping it into two chambers:
- A small upper stomach chamber is connected to a lower stomach chamber through a narrow opening.
- After the surgery, the upper stomach chamber can only hold four ounces of food, making a patient feel full sooner than usual.
- The lower stomach chamber does not need to be filled for a patient to feel full.
- The band slows the flow of food into the lower stomach, which also slows overall digestion.
- The size of the band can be adjusted after surgery by adding or removing fluid from within the band via an injection port and tubing.
Benefits of REALIZE™ Band Surgery
- Less invasive than traditional gastric bypass surgery
- No stomach stapling, cutting or rerouting of intestine function
- No risk of intestinal leakage or "dumping"
- Comes with an online tool called RealizemySuccess™ to help you set goals and keep track of progress
Factors to Consider with REALIZE™ Band Surgery
For best-case-scenario weight loss after surgery, patients need to have monthly follow-up appointments with their surgeon for the first year. In addition:
- The REALIZE™ Band will need to be adjusted three to five times in the first year.
- Patients who are sweet eaters may have a harder time losing weight.
- If a patient overeats, he/she may regurgitate or feel uncomfortable.
If you live in the Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Irvine and Culver City, area and are interested in finding out more about REALIZE™ Band surgery, please contact the nationally recognized bariatric surgical team led by acclaimed bariatric surgeon Dr. Carson Liu™.